What is Microsuction Ear Wax Removal & Is it Safe?
Microsuction is a procedure that uses a gentle suction to remove wax from the ear.
Using specialist equipment, our highly trained clinicians can see directly into the ear canal and use a sterile suction tip to gently remove the wax.
Microsuction is one of the safest and most comfortable methods to remove ear wax. It is a procedure that uses gentle suction to remove excessive or stubborn wax from the ears.
Microsuction is the newest gold standard method for wax removal where no water is used in the procedure reducing the risk of infections and damage to the eardrum.
Microsuction allows the clinician to clearly see the ear canal during the full procedure which creates a much faster than previous methods of wax removal
Ear Wax Removal & Microsuction Prices
Adults 1 or 2 ears for £55 (normally £65)
If no wax is found, there will be a £30 charge for the consultation.
All appointments are carried out by fully qualified and registered healthcare professionals, who have carried out specialist training in child Microsuction ear wax removal.
If no wax is found, there will be a £30 charge for the consultation.All appointments are carried out by fully qualified healthcare professionals, who have carried out specialist training in Micro-Suction ear wax removal.
Home ear wax removal appointments start from £165. Please contact us for further information.
Earwax Removal Appointment Process
What to Expect at Your Ear Wax Removal Consultation?
What Happens If Ear Wax is Not Removed?
If you have excessive ear wax it will eventually cause a plug that can block the ear and may result in the following:
- Sudden hearing loss
- Pain in the ear
- Tinnitus (a ringing or buzzing sound constantly heard in the ear)
A cough – this is actually an unknown symptom to a lot of people but the pressure on the nerve in the ear caused by the earwax can result in coughing.
If you have any of the above issues and you are unsure of the cause it is advised to get your ear checked out by a professional who will be able to take a look into your ears and if needed can safely and effectively remove any problems using a microsuction earwax removal procedure.
Ear Wax Removal FAQ's
- Why does wax build up?Ear wax is a natural product made up in the ears. It consists of dust, old skin, and oil secretions from the gland. Its sticky nature helps protect the ear and prevent infections. Small amounts of wax in the ear are normal and expected.
- If my ears are blocked, what symptoms will I experience?If your ears are blocked with ear wax you may feel pain, discomfort, hearing loss, dizziness or ringing in your ears. These can often be a sign that your ears are excessively blocked. We always recommend having this checked immediately so we can advise whether it is wax or whether it requires further investigation.
- How do I know if it is ear wax that is causing the problem?If you have not had confirmation that there is definitely excessive ear wax buildup, we will examine the ears to confirm this. If there is ear wax build-up, we are able to remove this within the same appointment by microsuction. If there is no wax, we only charge £30 for the consultation. We will offer you a hearing test (£30) and a tympanometry test (£60) to further investigate the reasons for your discomfort.
- Should I use olive oil drops before the appointment?Olive oil can be used a few days before your appointment to help soften the ear wax. It is not absolutely necessary and we can still remove ear wax from the majority of ears within the first appointment without the use of olive oil drops. If the wax is very stubborn and we are unable to remove it in the first appointment, we will rebook you for a free follow up within four weeks of your original appointment. Please do not use olive oil if you have a perforation in the ear drum.
- How long does the appointment take?The microsuction procedure itself will take between 5-10 mins. Occasionally it may take longer if the wax is very stubborn. For children, the appointment times will take between 15-20 minutes.
Find Our Specialised Audiology Clinics
Explore our seven dedicated clinics, each uniquely equipped to provide exceptional, individualized audiology care tailored to meet your hearing and balance needs.
32-36 Camden High Street,
Camden, NW1 0JH
38 Heath Street,
Hampstead, NW3 6TE
20, Marylebone High Street,
Marylebone, W1U 4PB
27-29 Warwick Way,
London SW1V 1QT
96 High Street,
Potters Bar, EN6 5AT
Ware, SG12 9FT
Hatfield House, Church Street
Hatfield, AL9 5AR