Hearing Aid Tips for Christmas
Christmas is a time for family, rejoicing friendships and having fun, of course! As a hearing aid wearer, this time of year can be somewhat challenging, with plenty of social gatherings, loud music and inevitable background noise to battle through. So, our experts have come up with a few handy tips to keep your hearing aids in optimum condition, leaving you to enjoy the festive season to the max!
- If you have hearing aids, make sure you always wear them! It sounds pretty obvious, but you’d be surprised at the number of people who say they feel self-conscious or embarrassed about wearing hearing aids in large gatherings of people and suffer as a consequence. Current models include invisible hearing aids and other digital hearing aids, which look very discreet and can filter out background noise instead of amplifying it, leaving you to concentrate on direct conversation with ease and confidence.
2. Try and stay close to the person you are having conversation with in a well-lit area. This will make it easier to see their gestures and help you lipread, rather than struggling to understand them over a larger distance. This especially applies to children, who tend to have softer voices than adults – so don’t be shy and ask them to look directly at you when they’re talking!
3. Although they are absolute joys, children can be little terrors too! Keep your hearing aids on or safely away from children and any family pets that you aren’t as familiar with to ensure they survive the Christmas holidays without damage.
4. Hearing aids vs. the cold. The cold will win! If dropped in the snow, or left in an icy car, your hearing aids could start malfunctioning. Give them a chance to warm up before putting them on, or use a drying kit if they’re damp to prevent damage to hearing aid batteries.
5. Consider using hearing aid accessories like Phonak’s Roger Pen at Christmas gatherings – a revolutionary device that automatically adjusts its microphone and allows those with Phonak hearing aids to understand speech over a distance.
There you have it! Our top 5 tips for hearing aid wearers during the festive season. We hope you enjoy this special time with family and friends and celebrate to your heart’s content. If you have any questions regarding your hearing aids or would like further advice for managing your hearing loss during Christmas, please contact us online or call our specialists on 0203 773 1230.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the team at London Hearing Specialist – we look forward to seeing you in 2019!